In Africa, Sand Cats were recorded in
In the following map, the markers point to locations where Sand Cats were recorded after 2000. The markers indicate areas where Sand Cats were captured or sighted between 1858 and the mid 1980s. For further information about individual locations : click on the marker to zoom in.
- Basuony, M.I., F. Gilbert & S. Zalat (2010). Mammals of Egypt. Atlas, Red Data Listing and Conservation. Ministry of Environmental Affairs, Cairo.
- Belbachir, F. (2009). Spotted: the elusive Sand Cat in Algerian Ahaggar Mountains, central Sahara. Cat News 50: 17–18.
- Bompar, J.M., E. Durand, S. Durand & T. Perrier (2019). Unusual resting places of Sand Cat in Moroccan Sahara? Cat News 69: 8–9.
- Breton, G, A. Sliwa, S. Azizi & A. Essalhi (2016). Sand Cats in the Moroccan Sahara – preliminary results of a new study. Cat News 63: 7–10.
- Rabeil, T., T. Wacher & J. Newby (2016). Sand Cat sightings in Niger and Chad. Cat News 63: 11–14.
- Sliwa A., G. Breton & F. Chevalier (2013). Sand Cat sightings in the Moroccan Sahara. Cat News 59: 28–30.
- Sliwa, A., S. Azizi, E. Alifal, A. Essalhi, M. Endichi & G. Breton (2017). First Sand Cat kittens sighted in the Moroccan Sahara. Cat News 66: 19–20.